Wednesday, March 3, 2010

It's sunny outside, but I've been inside allllllll day...

When I lived in Coogee, I felt like I lived in Overland Park, Kansas... well, if you were to add a beach, small cottages, rolling hills, and palm trees to the OP, but you'll get my point: I lived in a suburb with white, middle class families. The beach was in my view every morning, where I could roll out of bed and be on the sand in less than 5 minutes.

I moved to the city exactly a month ago, and it's definitely a 180! There are traffic sounds at all hours of the day in the background, it's a little more smoggy and humid, and I am always in a sea of people (all of which are hundreds of different races and ethnicities). I've never actually lived in a city before (okay... I lived in Des Moines, but it doesn't really count). I wouldn't change it for the world...

But, on that note, I'm living out my last week here in Sydney and am packing up my bags and heading North! Leaving next Wednesday, I'm going to go on a 10 day vacation up the east coast, stopping at Newcastle, Port Marquarie, Coffs Harbour, Byron Bay, and Surfer's Paradise. I will then make my way to Brisbane to, once again, settle down: find a job and a place to live in less than a week! I did it in Sydney... think I can do it again?

Another one of my friends has left me... first it was Hilary, then it was Arron, who is now trying to make it all alone in Melbourne... Then I'm the next to leave, then Annie, Lizzo, Will, Sarah... the list goes on. Funny thing is, I have moved a lot in my life, you think I would've gotten used to saying goodbye, but it never gets easier! But, I do know I have made lots of friends that I will keep in touch with for a very long time, and hopefully get to travel to awesome parts of the world!

On Saturday, I went surfing for the first time ever. I survived... I didn't stand up on the bored, but I survived. I think I enjoy splashing around in waves more than I actually enjoying trying to ride them, but I would probably give surfing another go.

Later that day, my friend Eric rang me and said him and his friends were in Syndey (from Melbourne) and needed a place to crash. We've got plenty of couches at our place, so I invited them all over... they cooked us dinner, brought us liquor, and we ended up having a great Mardi Gras! Granted, I didn't get to see any of the parade (minus a drag queen and some feathers), but we went to Sidebar and danced for awhile, then went to our balcony and threw a party until 4am!

I've mostly spent my days lounging around with friends, walking the streets of Sydney. Arron and I did go to a taping of a show on Monday called "When I Grow Up"... pretty much it was like "Kids Say the Darndest Things." It was fun to be back in a studio, and I realized (just a teensy bit) that I miss being in production... I still don't know what I want to do with my life, but I have recently been enjoying putting together movies and being a typical production nerd.

Last night, being Arron's last night, me, Jay and Arron went to the Three Monkey's bar and had a few beers... I ended up going home at 5am, waking up my roommate, because I was locked out (we don't have keys to our place, you have to ring in. It's amazing how you can lose track of time so quickly!

Anyways, I apologize for the jumble that is this post... I hadn't updated in awhile so I had a lot to say. I will update more, promise!

Love,
Michaela

No comments:

Post a Comment