Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ready, Set, REBOUND!

"As the blood runs red down the needle and thread, someday you will be loved." -Death Cab for Cutie

I went and saw The Rebound tonight, with Catherine Zeta Jones and that hottie from The Hangover.  Now, I usually hate chick-flicks and would rather see a nice action or zombie film, but I saw it because: 1. it was 9.50 and Alice in Wonderland was 19.00... 2. the friendly cashier lady recommended it.  I think she was 15.  3.  I was alone, had sushi in my purse, so what other type of movie would me look so cool, all alone on a tuesday night?

I laughed, I cried... I ate sushi.  I consider it a good night.  Go see it!  

Today, Lizzo left to head north for Cairns.  She had been here the last two days, and we will meet up again in 3 weeks in Sydney.  We didn't do anything too mentionable, except hangout, eat good food, and gossip.  

Saturday night, the day before Lizzo came, was an interesting one.  One of those "pinch me" nights where you look around and think "I may only have $1,000 to my name and one backpack of belongings, but life's alright."  

That day I went down to the lagoon with Evan and Nick, got some sun, splashed around, and read my book.  I used to remember feeling really uneasy about the way I looked in a swimsuit.  I never even used to wear shorts/skirts/dresses a year ago because I hated the way I looked.  But, ever since this summer, I'm comfortable.  I'm not at my skinniest and I'm still pretty pale, but I have never felt more comfortable in my skin:  sprawled out on the sand or splashing in the waves with two really cute boys I just met a week earlier.

That night I went down to the hostel bar and grabbed a few drinks with a few Scottish fellows from the hostel.  Now, usually I can't understand a damn word the Scottish say.  I stare blankly, blink a few times, and mutter an "I'm sorry, but are you sure that was English?"  But, they were well spoken and we enjoyed a good laugh.  But, I got tired and went down to my room to lay down and figure out what to do with my night.  It was 10pm.

Evan and Nick shake me and tell me to get up, cause we're going swimming.  "At 10pm?"  "Yes, get dressed! Let's go."

So, Evan, Nick (Nova Scotia), Mary-Anne (Holland) and Rory (Ireland) walk down to the Lagoon I talk about all the time.  My swimsuit was still wet from that afternoon.  It was beautiful.  The water was lit up in a rainbow of colors, the sand was cool under my feet, and the city looked magnificent all lit up in front of a black backdrop.  I could even see a few stars.

We swam and splashed around and even became 13 again for a moment and played chicken fights.  That's where you get up on another person's shoulders and try to push the other person off.  It was me on Nick's shoulders and Mary-Anne on Evan's.  Now, Evan is about a foot taller than Nick.  Nick is my height.  So, their strategy was to back us into the deep end.  I'm proud to say they only pushed us down twice, out of the three times we played.  We won one!  

It soon got cold and real dark, around 1am, so we walked the 20 min walk back to the hostel.  I don't think I have laughed so hard and had such a good, random time in a very long time.  Well, in probably a week.  But, when I think my life couldn't get anymore sweet, it some how does.

And, what's funny, is I will probably never see these people again.

We all said goodbye the next morning, the Nova Scotians going to Manly (a beach about 45 min east of here), Mary-Anne went to Noosa Heads (north), and Rory is working here for awhile... so I'm leaving him!

For a moment, when I saw Nick and Evan walking away, I got a little sad at the thought that I would probably never talk to them again.  We didn't exchange phone numbers, and we made a promise to facebook each other, but most likely we still will never meet up again.  You get over it in a few minutes, but still... strange, isn't it?

What's even more strange, is my first night in my new hostel room (went from a 12 share UNair-conditioned room, mixed sex, to a 6 share air-conditioned, all girls), a girl brought a boy back and had sex ALL NIGHT LONG.  I didn't wake up, as I sleep like a dead person, but the rest of the room was up all night long, so we got her kicked out the next day.  Who wants to have sex, loudly, with five other people within 5 feet of you?  Seems a little dirty.

Oh hostels, you never quite know what you're going to get.

The funny thing about travelling and living the way I do, is you learn to expect nothing and everything all at the same time.  What I mean is that I don't expect when I wake up for my life to be any different than it was the day before.  I have no expectations.  I rarely make plans and I try to say "yes" to everything.  But, you expect anything, as people are weird, and you meet all of them while you travel.  For instance, some people like to be exhibitionists! haha

Good night, everyone.

On the back of a motor bike 
With your arms outstretched trying to take flight 
Leaving everything behind 
But even at our swiftest speed 
We couldn't break from the concrete 
In the city where we still reside
And I have learned 
That even landlocked lovers yearn 
For the sea like navy men 
'Cause now we say goodnight 

No comments:

Post a Comment