Sunday, January 17, 2010

I get drunk on life, enjoy that natural high.

After being on vacation for four lovely days, I had a hard time getting back into the whole work thing. When I arrived back in Sydney last Saturday it was about 40 degrees Celcius here... which is about 104 degrees fahrenheit. The train station didn't have air conditioning, then I waited in the hot sun for my bus, then took a 30 minute un-airconditioned bus back to my home. I was drenched in sweat and a little sunburnt.

I woke up bright and early Sunday morning to start my work week (Sun-Thurs every week)... Even though the week stretched on, I managed to fill it up with some great memories. That night Arron and I watched Trainspotting, and have decided that heroin is a bad choice... and dead babies are creepy. Monday night I went out with my friend Anton as it was his last night out in Sydney. I went over to his place and hung out with him and his girlfriend (who are Swedish) and met a bunch of their friends, who consisted of people from Sweden, Turkey, France, Italy, Germany, and Chile. Sitting there playing Kings (Circle of Death) with a bunch of people with funny accents, I had one of those "holy shit, I'm in another country" moments. The more that I live here and am settling in, the less I think about being 9,000 miles away from home; but, it hits me every once in awhile. It's one of the weirdest (and greatest) feelings out there.

I ended up getting home at 2am (after waiting for the bus for 40 minutes, it never showed, so I spent 25 dollars on a taxi ride home... *sigh*). Then, I woke up at 6:30 am in order to roll into work at 8am. Now, a normal work day I can handle after little sleep, but I ended up working 11 hours that day! Yes... 11 HOURS! By the end of the day I had literally lost my voice and sounded like a 45-year-old lifetime smoker. I got home around 8:30pm, ate some food, and fell asleep... only to wake up at 6:30 to do it again.

Then, that night (Wednesday) I met up with my friend Eric, who is from France, as he was only in Sydney for a couple of days. We got dinner at a backpacker bar called Sidebar (which is under the hostel where we met 2 months ago!). Australians love Chicken Schnitzel, and I hadn't had it yet, so I order the Schnitzel and Chips (Breaded chicken and fries). Pretty delish! After a couple Toohey's (cheap beer) I headed home to fall asleep, exhausted.

Thursday I worked the late shift (12pm to 9pm), went home, and fell asleep. All caught up on sleep, I woke up bright and early Friday and joined a gym... yes, you heard correctly. I've gotten a lil soft and squishy here and miss running on the treadmill (never thought I would say that), so I forked over some cash and have signed myself up to Fitness First. If I go at least once a week for 3 consecutive months, I get $75 back. Let's hope that's enough motivation! Spent the rest of the day hanging out in Coogee, then made my way into the city (30 minute bus ride) to hang out with Hilary and Melisa. We met up at a bar called Cheers (like the TV show!) and I ended up talking to two of Melisa's friends who are an Australian lesbian couple who love Paramore. If you know me well, you know I love Paramore and love to talk about them incessently. So, I was giddy. They knew where Franklin, TN was!

Saturday I went and worked out (two days in a row, whooo!) then spent the day laying on Maroubra beach. It's the beach just south of Coogee and takes a 10 minute bus ride. Lizzo was going to teach me how to surf, but the waves were huge and rough and probably not what I want to learn on. I'm not the most graceful person and am known for hurting myself... probably best to wait and have a professional teach me! Then, that night we bought a bottle of Goon ($10 for 4 Litres of Wine Based Product... it's processed with Fish Eggs and Milk... yum!) for us three girls and spent the night gabbing and gossiping.

Now, Sunday comes around, here I am sitting at my work computer, sweating because the air conditioner isn't turned on and staring out the window at the gorgeous weather. I want to be out there!

Well, enough slacking, I've got emails to send and people to call.

Love,
Michaela

No comments:

Post a Comment