Sunday, August 15, 2010

"This old world really ain't that bad of a place."

I don't remember the moment that I was like "I have to travel!" I don't believe I ever had an "a-ha!" moment that decided my life was to be more of a free-for-all rather than a settlement. For most of my life, I did things by the book. I went to a suburban high school, where I was on the dance team, was in band, and was on the honor roll. I went to a four year, private college where I received two bachelors degrees. I searched (and searched and searched...) for a "real" job. I was devastated when I couldn't find one and was (at first) embarrassed that I had to work in a cafe, making (almost) minimum wage. I think the only moment that was an "I have to travel!" was me hitting rock bottom. It was either traveling or suicide... I'm pretty sure I chose the right one. :)

(Listen to "Why" by Rascal Flatts)

Yea, I went to Europe when I was 21, but that was because I've always wanted to see Europe, not because I had a desire to see the world. That was has developed, rather slowly, over the last year. I turned down opportunities to teach in Thailand and the pacific islands because I had panic attacks about not having electricity and running water. When I came to Australia, I had little intention to travel, I just wanted to work and live in another city... far from America. But, the more people talked about traveling, and all these amazing places they were seeing, I had to be a part of it. I'm still not entirely keen on roughing it through Asia or India by myself... the people that do that are far more gutsy than I ever will be. I want to see the world, for sure, but I need a person to hold my hand into things that are out of my comfort zone. I'm willing to try new foods and see new cultures, but I just need a travel partner. At this point in my life, at least. I hope to see South America next, which I would love a travel partner for, as well. But, maybe this will all change as I grow older and (hopefully) wiser. Maybe I will be able to venture out even further on my own. Hey, I came to Australia all by myself... if I can do that, I can conquer the world.

This coming weekend I'm going to Tasmania... honestly, up until last November, I didn't actually know people lived there. Then, to the Outback, back to Sydney, up the coast to Cairns and Whitsundays (Great Barrier Reef!!), to New Zealand... and then America.

I'm preparing myself again for hot, sweaty hostels with 10 people in a room. Bugs. Living out of a bag. Pasta and more pasta... and some more pasta... for every meal, every day. And, everything else that comes with being a traveler. I've grown comfortable... so, here's to breaking out of that comfort zone, one more time!

And, what's funny, is that my friends always laugh at me because everyday I'm always like "I have my life plan!"... and then 2 days later, I have another one. Sure, it may look like irresponsibility, or whatever you want to call it, but I like to think I'm keeping my options. I'm not limiting myself to one thing... I can be A LOT of things. I can see A LOT of things. I want to be unstoppable... just WHICH life plan do I start with???

(Listen to "Unstoppable" by Rascal Flatts)

Only time will tell. :)

Love,

Michaela

p.s. ...somehow I became more southern, just by leaving America. God Bless Country!

No comments:

Post a Comment