Thursday, November 28, 2013

I shouldn't write posts when I'm hungry...

Maybe there is someone out there googling blogs about teaching in thailand. Maybe someone is contemplating choosing CIEE or OEG or another program. Maybe they're doing exactly what I did for months on end: obsess over everything Thailand online. Maybe, even, they're thinking of coming to teach in Somdet at Somdetpittayakom school. (Fun fact: pittayakom in Thai means knowledge house. So, that indeed reads Somdet Knowledge House School.  The 'school' is only added so western people know learning takes place there!)

Either way, I want to make something clear about living abroad that people who have never done it don't understand. 

I am living a regular, ol' normal life. I still pay bills. I have to go grocery shopping. Budget. I have to work. And, yes I do work about 40 hours a week. Between lesson planning for 18 different classes, grading and going to functions, I'm busy. Am I less busy than I was in the states? Of course. Do I make less? Hell yes. Traveling happens sparingly.

There is an American teacher I work with that complains everyday how we work too many days and need more breaks. I want to make it clear that I would never complain about this. I love my job and the people I work with. I get free accommodation. Free wifi. Free computer use. I spend $5 or less a day. I play games for a job. And, I live in Thailand where it never snows.

I have rode elephants, rafted down a river, swam in a river in the jungle, partied in Bangkok, rode a bike up a mountain, got lost in sugarcane fields, got excited when I found real cheddar cheese, been chased by dogs, watched Thai dancing, been to temples older than I can fathom, rode a Tuk Tuk, rode an even scarier motorbike, and tried chicken joints.

Adventure doesn't have to be big. Life doesn't have to be grand in order to be enjoyed.

So, my point is, if you are looking into this life understand the two sides. No, it's not backbreaking work. But, no it's not a holiday.  You'll have amazing, jaw dropping moments, but most days are uneventful. You'll read. Boil some rice. And, you'll curl up in bed with a cup of tea and greet the little ant that's decided to join you, the gecko on your wall and the spider living under your bed.

And, no matter what you're doing, be happy.

oh... and for the love of God... Remember to stop and appreciate the cheese... Because you'll never know how much you miss it until its gone.

Oh... And, salsa... Fajitas... Nachos.

My god. I'm having a breakdown. And, this post no longer has a point.

Peace.
And, send Mexican... Please.






No comments:

Post a Comment